Zin, Zin, Zin a Violin!
I know a Shy Fellow who Swallowed a Cello and
M is for Melody
Having a music storytime is a great way to shake things up in the classroom and learn more about musical instruments, terms, and practices. It can also be very entertaining! We love story books at our house and we want to share that love by doing a giveaway of three of our favorite music storybooks. (one winner)
Zin, Zin, Zin, a Violin!
This book is a fun musical variation on the common counting books made for children. First we meet one trombonist playing a solo, then a trumpet player joins him making a duo, and so on until we have a nonet of nine players, a chamber group of ten, and finally the whole orchestra.
The poetry is fun and the illustrations are delightful. My children especially love the harpist flying through the wings with her instrument hanging from a rope, as well as the animals that stay behind at night to guard the theater.
I know a Shy Fellow Who Swallowed a Cello
I don't know why he swallowed a cello. Perhaps he'll bellow.
This silly book is not included as much for its educational aspects (unless the children don't know what a harp or cello are), but for the sheer entertainment aspect of this book. Naturally the children will enjoy this parody more if they are familiar with "There was an old woman who swallowed a fly."
Why on earth would someone so shy go around and sneakily eat musician's large instruments? It's just silly, and that is what makes this book so delightful. The poetry is clever as well. For example- "I know a shy fellow who swallowed a flute. That was a hoot, to swallow a flute. He swallowed the flute to jam with the cymbal..."
M is for Melody- A Music Alphabet
Of the three, this final book is my favorite. Our family has a small collection of specialized alphabet books, from construction vehicles, beetles, and dinosaurs. This one is especially great. Not only do we have an engaging, poetry based story-book with beautiful illustrations, but there are also additional fun-facts about each letter's item on the side underneath the letters- something especially great for older readers when they read the book on their own. At the end of the book is an optional 10-question quiz to see how well they remember what was read.
The picture above features "M if for Melody" and "M is for Meter", as well as "N is for Note". You can see how the child is examining a giant staff, the giant melody the girl is hearing, and a 4/4 meter. The page reads in part, "The letter M is Melody, a tune is what we hear/ when music notes are played in line and flow into our ear."
I is for "Instrument" features a little girl trying to figure out which instrument she would like to play. The side bar talks about how a musical instrument is anything that can be used to make music. They can be large or small, fancy or homemade. Instruments also come in families, including the brass family, the woodwinds, the strings and percussion.
Whenever I pick up an alphabet book, I wonder what they'll do for "X", but this book had a natural choice- "X" is for "Xylophone". However I was delightfully surprised to see that "Z" is for "Zither", and the illustration shows both the formal, classical instrument and a homemade cardboard box with rubber-bands played in similar fashion. "W" is for "Woodwinds", and the most common ones are beautifully illustrated and labeled. But what did the author choose for "Q"? You'll have to read the book to find out!
Learn more about the books the winner will receive on Amazon
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN. A PURCHASE DOES NOT IMPROVE YOUR CHANCES OF WINNING. VOID WHERE PROHIBITED BY LAW.
1. Promotion Description: The 'Three Music Storytime Books' ("Sweepstakes") begins on 03/01/2016 at 12:00 AM (Mountain Time (US & Canada)) and ends on 03/04/2016 at 11:59 PM (Mountain Time (US & Canada)) (the "Promotion Period"). By participating in the Sweepstakes, each entrant unconditionally accepts and agrees to comply with and abide by these Official Rules and the decisions of Tamsyn Spackman ("Sponsor"), which shall be final and binding in all respects. Sponsor is responsible for the collection, submission or processing of Entries and the overall administration of the giveaway. Entrants should look solely to Sponsor with any questions, comments or problems related to the Sweepstakes.
2. Eligibility: Open to legal residents of USA who are 18 or older. Void where prohibited or restricted by law. Sponsor and their respective parents, subsidiaries, affiliates, distributors, retailers, sales representatives, advertising and promotion agencies and each of their respective officers, directors and employees (collectively, the "Promotion Entities"), and members of their immediate families and/or persons living in the same household as such persons, are ineligible to enter the Sweepstakes or win a prize.
3. Winner Selection: The winner of the Sweepstakes will be selected in a random drawing from among all eligible Entries received throughout the Promotion Period. The random drawing will be conducted by 48 hours by Sponsor or its designated representatives, whose decisions are final. Odds of winning will vary depending on the number of eligible Entries received. Winner will be notified by email at the email address provided in the Entry Information on or about 48 hours after the random drawing. Potential winner must accept a prize by email as directed by Sponsor within 48 hours of notification. Any winner notification not responded to or returned as undeliverable may result in prize forfeiture. The potential prize winner may be required to sign and return an affidavit of eligibility and release of liability, and a Publicity Release (collectively "the Prize Claim Documents"). No substitution or transfer of a prize is permitted except by Sponsor.
- 1 (#) winner(s) will receive [(1) Three Music Storytime Books] (approximate retail value or "ARV": $19.50)
Only one prize per person and per household will be awarded. Gift cards and gift certificates are subject to the terms and conditions of the issuer. Prizes cannot be transferred, redeemed for cash or substituted by winner. Sponsor reserves the right in its sole and absolute discretion to award a substitute prize of equal or greater value if a prize described in these Official Rules is unavailable or cannot be awarded, in whole or in part, for any reason. The ARV of the prize represents Sponsor's good faith determination. That determination is final and binding and cannot be appealed. If the actual value of the prize turns out to be less than the stated ARV, the difference will not be awarded in cash. Sponsor makes no representation or warranty concerning the appearance, safety or performance of any prize awarded. Restrictions, conditions, and limitations may apply. Sponsor will not replace any lost or stolen prize items.
Prize will only be awarded and/or delivered to addresses within USA. All federal, state and/or local taxes, fees, and surcharges are the sole responsibility of the prize winner. Failure to comply with the Official Rules will result in forfeiture of the prize.
5. Online Entry: Enter the Sweepstakes during the Promotion Period online by signing into the entry form and perform the tasks provided. The entry form can be found on the following website at https://www.teaching-children-music.com/2016/02/music-storytime-books-giveaway/.
Automated or robotic Entries submitted by individuals or organizations will be disqualified. Internet entry must be made by the entrant. Any attempt by an entrant to obtain more than the stated number of Entries by using multiple/different email addresses, identities, registrations, logins or any other methods, including, but not limited to, commercial contest/sweepstakes subscription notification and/or entering services, will void that entrant's Entries and that entrant may be disqualified. Final eligibility for the award of any prize is subject to eligibility verification as set forth below. All Entries must be posted by the end of the Promotion Period in order to participate. Sponsor's database clock will be the official time keeper for this Sweepstakes.
7. Limitation of Liability: Sponsor is not responsible for any incorrect or inaccurate information, whether caused by website users or by any of the equipment or programming associated with or utilized in the Sweepstakes or by any technical or human error, which may occur in the processing of submissions in the Sweepstakes. Sponsor assumes no responsibility for any misdirected or lost mail, or any error, omission, interruption, deletion, defect, delay of operation or transmission, communications line failure, theft or destruction or unauthorized access to, or alteration of, Entries. Sponsor is not responsible for any problems or technical malfunction of any telephone network or lines, computer online systems, servers or providers, computer equipment, software, failure of email or players on account of technical problems or traffic congestion on the Internet or at any website or combination thereof, including injury or damage to entrant's or any other person's computer related to or resulting from participating downloading materials in the Sweepstakes. If, for any reason, the Sweepstakes is not capable of running as planned, including infection by computer virus bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failures, or any other causes beyond the control of Sponsor which corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness, integrity or proper conduct of the Sweepstakes, then Sponsor reserves the right in its sole discretion to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the Sweepstakes. In such event, Sponsor may, in its sole discretion, perform the random drawing from among all eligible Entries received prior to or after such cancellation, suspension, or modification.
In the event of a dispute concerning who registered online to participate in the Sweepstakes, the registration will be declared to have been made by the authorized account holder is defined as the natural person who is assigned to an email address by an internet provider, online service provider, or other organization (e.g., business, education institution, etc.) that is responsible for assigning email addresses for the domain associated with the submitted email address. A potential winner may be requested to provide Sponsor with proof that the potential winner is the authorized account holder of the email address. If a dispute cannot be resolved to Sponsor's satisfaction, the entry will be deemed ineligible.
8. Winner's List: To obtain a copy of any legally required winners list or a copy of the Official Rules, send the applicable request and a self-addresses, stamped, #10 envelope to Tamsyn Spackman cc: Three Music Storytime Books at 472 W. 250 S, Vernal, UT 84078. Request must be received no later than 48 hours + 6 MONTHS for the name of the winner and, by the end of the promotion, for a copy of the rules.
9. Sponsor: The Sweepstakes is sponsored by Tamsyn Spackman, 472 W. 250 S, Vernal, UT 84078, firstname.lastname@example.org
11. Facebook Disclaimer: Entrants should understand that they are providing their information to the Sponsor and not to Facebook. This promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with Facebook.