Little Musician Review and Giveaway
Sponsored by BrillKids
Little Musician is one of my absolute favorite music products available, especially for tiny children. We have been using it almost daily for four years, and purchased the product with our own money. I reached out to the BrillKids company and asked them if they would be willing to work with me to do a giveaway and they agreed! I'm so excited to give someone the opportunity to use this software with their child(ren) or class. BrillKids has provided a 100%-off coupon code to give to the winner. Enter the giveaway and learn more below.
This post contains affiliate links. 🙂
Flashback Four Years
It was almost four years ago when BrillKids released "Little Musician". We have loved their company even longer than that as we are lovers of Early Learning and Little Reader has helped our children to learn to read by the time they are two. I was so excited when they announced that they were making a music curriculum, and even more excited when I got to be part of the BETA testing team. I got to see Little Musician work out the initial kinks, provide feedback, and see how wonderful the finished product turned out to be.
Here are some of my online friends and others and their experience with Little Musician
How we use Little Musician Now
Little Musician may be perfect as an introduction for babies, but don't let that stop you if your kids are older. The curriculum covers a wide base of subjects, from instrument recognition, gaining familiarity with classical music, and learning to sight-read and sing using solfege. There have been a TON of older kids and parents who have reported that Little Musician taught them to hear and identify chords and improved their ear.
Because of the way the software mixes and matches elements while teaching daily concepts, you can watch the same lesson over and over and never have the exact same lesson. Likewise, concepts taught will be reviewed frequently while the overall difficulty will increase. Even so, there did come a point where my older kids mastered the materials taught in the curriculum. We still use it often mostly because I've had more children. The latest Spackman models have enjoyed the software as much as the older kids did.
One of my favorite aspects of the lessons is that there are 3-4 suggested YouTube clips at the end of each lesson. The older kids will often come and watch these video clips when I watch Little Musician with the younger ones. They were well-chosen and have really inspired my older kids to practice more and strive for better musicianship. Why? Because whenever possible, they have chosen clips of CHILDREN to teach the basic concepts. For example, recently one of our lessons introduced the concept of "viola", "cello", "double bass" and the Anvil Chorus from Il Trovatore (among other things) and the lesson recommended these videos at the end. As long as you are connected to the internet, you can watch these videos within the Little Musician software. We don't always watch the videos, and when we do we usually just pick one. Even so, over time our family has richly blessed by having these clips presented to us so often.
The Back-End Software
BrillKids has built an incredible software that allows teachers to create their own lessons. Initially the use of the software and the curriculum were only available together in a joint package, now called "Little Musician Basic" (the software our winner will receive). However, they have since split the software into two giving you the option to just buy the curriculum or the PRO version that allows you to create your own lessons. Each of these are available for $99. Many users have really gone to town making their own reading lessons in Little Reader, but the PRO version of Little Musician has been less utilized. However, if you are a music teacher, this is an incredible tool worth noting. You can learn more about the features of the Pro version here.
I honestly haven't created much with the Pro version myself. The Little Musician curriculum has been adequate for my own family's needs. However, if I was a classroom teacher, I know I would be using it a lot more. Having said that, I have LOVED having the option of digging into the "Play and Edit" section where I can access the individual aspects of the lessons. I personally have used it to practice the individual songs with the kids. After the lesson is over, we will often pick out a song to sing together in solfege. The video below shows the fruits of that practice. We were on day 85 and had practiced BrillKid's original "The Solfege Song" off and on. This day she spontaneously got up and started singing and dancing the song, and didn't mind doing it again for the camera. Don't mind the mess- it's a snapshot of our real life.
In closing, I suppose my main point would be that yes, Little Musician is still one of our favorites. Yes, we still use it often. Yes, I still love it. I recommend it often. While they do have an affiliate program and I do participate, gosh, there are lots of products out there that offer an affiliate program, but that doesn't mean that I'm going around gushing about them. Little Musician is something special and I'm so grateful that my children have been blessed with this resource.
Good luck, everybody!
Because the "Little Musician Basic" software is worth $179, we have decided to let this giveaway run for two weeks. Giveaway ends April 29th at midnight.
Find out more about the Little Musician on the BrillKids Website. Giveaway ends Friday at midnight, April 29th. Winner gets (1) copy of Little Musician Basic.
Get 10% off of any BrillKids' Products with coupon code "BKAFF13180"
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN. A PURCHASE DOES NOT IMPROVE YOUR CHANCES OF WINNING. VOID WHERE PROHIBITED BY LAW.
1. Promotion Description: The 'Little Musician Curriculum and Software ($179 value)' ("Sweepstakes") begins on 04/15/2016 at 12:00 AM (Mountain Time (US & Canada)) and ends on 04/29/2016 at 11:59 PM (Mountain Time (US & Canada)) (the "Promotion Period"). By participating in the Sweepstakes, each entrant unconditionally accepts and agrees to comply with and abide by these Official Rules and the decisions of Tamsyn Spackman ("Sponsor"), which shall be final and binding in all respects. Sponsor is responsible for the collection, submission or processing of Entries and the overall administration of the giveaway. Entrants should look solely to Sponsor with any questions, comments or problems related to the Sweepstakes.
2. Eligibility: Open to legal residents of World-Wide where legal who are 18 or older. Void where prohibited or restricted by law. Sponsor and their respective parents, subsidiaries, affiliates, distributors, retailers, sales representatives, advertising and promotion agencies and each of their respective officers, directors and employees (collectively, the "Promotion Entities"), and members of their immediate families and/or persons living in the same household as such persons, are ineligible to enter the Sweepstakes or win a prize.
3. Winner Selection: The winner of the Sweepstakes will be selected in a random drawing from among all eligible Entries received throughout the Promotion Period. The random drawing will be conducted by 48 hours by Sponsor or its designated representatives, whose decisions are final. Odds of winning will vary depending on the number of eligible Entries received. Winner will be notified by email at the email address provided in the Entry Information on or about 48 hours after the random drawing. Potential winner must accept a prize by email as directed by Sponsor within 48 hours of notification. Any winner notification not responded to or returned as undeliverable may result in prize forfeiture. The potential prize winner may be required to sign and return an affidavit of eligibility and release of liability, and a Publicity Release (collectively "the Prize Claim Documents"). No substitution or transfer of a prize is permitted except by Sponsor.
- 1 (#) winner(s) will receive [(1) Little Musician Basic] (approximate retail value or "ARV": $179)
Only one prize per person and per household will be awarded. Gift cards and gift certificates are subject to the terms and conditions of the issuer. Prizes cannot be transferred, redeemed for cash or substituted by winner. Sponsor reserves the right in its sole and absolute discretion to award a substitute prize of equal or greater value if a prize described in these Official Rules is unavailable or cannot be awarded, in whole or in part, for any reason. The ARV of the prize represents Sponsor's good faith determination. That determination is final and binding and cannot be appealed. If the actual value of the prize turns out to be less than the stated ARV, the difference will not be awarded in cash. Sponsor makes no representation or warranty concerning the appearance, safety or performance of any prize awarded. Restrictions, conditions, and limitations may apply. Sponsor will not replace any lost or stolen prize items.
Prize will only be awarded and/or delivered to addresses within World-Wide where legal. All federal, state and/or local taxes, fees, and surcharges are the sole responsibility of the prize winner. Failure to comply with the Official Rules will result in forfeiture of the prize.
5. Online Entry: Enter the Sweepstakes during the Promotion Period online by signing into the entry form and perform the tasks provided. The entry form can be found on the following website at https://www.teaching-children-music.com/2016/04/little-musician-review/.
Automated or robotic Entries submitted by individuals or organizations will be disqualified. Internet entry must be made by the entrant. Any attempt by an entrant to obtain more than the stated number of Entries by using multiple/different email addresses, identities, registrations, logins or any other methods, including, but not limited to, commercial contest/sweepstakes subscription notification and/or entering services, will void that entrant's Entries and that entrant may be disqualified. Final eligibility for the award of any prize is subject to eligibility verification as set forth below. All Entries must be posted by the end of the Promotion Period in order to participate. Sponsor's database clock will be the official time keeper for this Sweepstakes.
7. Limitation of Liability: Sponsor is not responsible for any incorrect or inaccurate information, whether caused by website users or by any of the equipment or programming associated with or utilized in the Sweepstakes or by any technical or human error, which may occur in the processing of submissions in the Sweepstakes. Sponsor assumes no responsibility for any misdirected or lost mail, or any error, omission, interruption, deletion, defect, delay of operation or transmission, communications line failure, theft or destruction or unauthorized access to, or alteration of, Entries. Sponsor is not responsible for any problems or technical malfunction of any telephone network or lines, computer online systems, servers or providers, computer equipment, software, failure of email or players on account of technical problems or traffic congestion on the Internet or at any website or combination thereof, including injury or damage to entrant's or any other person's computer related to or resulting from participating downloading materials in the Sweepstakes. If, for any reason, the Sweepstakes is not capable of running as planned, including infection by computer virus bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failures, or any other causes beyond the control of Sponsor which corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness, integrity or proper conduct of the Sweepstakes, then Sponsor reserves the right in its sole discretion to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the Sweepstakes. In such event, Sponsor may, in its sole discretion, perform the random drawing from among all eligible Entries received prior to or after such cancellation, suspension, or modification.
In the event of a dispute concerning who registered online to participate in the Sweepstakes, the registration will be declared to have been made by the authorized account holder is defined as the natural person who is assigned to an email address by an internet provider, online service provider, or other organization (e.g., business, education institution, etc.) that is responsible for assigning email addresses for the domain associated with the submitted email address. A potential winner may be requested to provide Sponsor with proof that the potential winner is the authorized account holder of the email address. If a dispute cannot be resolved to Sponsor's satisfaction, the entry will be deemed ineligible.
8. Winner's List: To obtain a copy of any legally required winners list or a copy of the Official Rules, send the applicable request and a self-addresses, stamped, #10 envelope to Tamsyn Spackman cc: Little Musician Curriculum and Software ($179 value) at 472 W 250 S. Request must be received no later than 48 hours + 6 MONTHS for the name of the winner and, by the end of the promotion, for a copy of the rules.
9. Sponsor: The Sweepstakes is sponsored by Tamsyn Spackman, 472 W 250 S, firstname.lastname@example.org
11. Facebook Disclaimer: Entrants should understand that they are providing their information to the Sponsor and not to Facebook. This promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with Facebook.
Great program for little ones! Always looking for ideas for children younger than preschool.
My son (3,5 yo) is interested in music. I can’t wait to start learning music with him. This program looks like a great opportunity to learn it from. We have Little Reader and my son loves it. Thank you for this giveaway.
I am crossing my fingers. I’ve been keeping an eye on brill kids for a few years with hopes to join. This would make my dream come true!
Here’s to happy dreams! 🙂
Great program for little ones!
This program looks amazing. It goes more in depth than my son’s violin lessons. I would love this for both of my boys but definitely my baby who is 18 months and wants to be like big brother and play the violin.
This program comes highly recommended from Mr. Rob over at Preschool Prodigies! Cannot wait to try this out!!! It seems to go more in depth than my piano lessons! I am totally stoked!!!!
I’ve heard you talk about this program several times. I’ve wanted to try it out for a while now!
I appreciate your blog! I am looking forward to using your games and teaching aids to help teach my four little ones since I have no music training.
An under appreciated benefit of teaching music is to improve auditory discrimination. Listening is important for all learning, especially reading. Being able to discriminate the differences in letter sounds, phonemes, syllables and intonation of speech is foundational for reading and learning.
My kids are 5, 4 and 18mos. They love music. I think this would be an excellent teaching tool. Thank you for the opportunity.
I take my daughter to a weekly music class, but this would be fun to do at home.
Wow what an amazing little musician review. This would be so wonderful to do with my daughter. She loves the piano and with all the extra theory and lessons she would be amazed at what she would learn and be able to play. Would love to win!
my daughter has an interest in singing and in instruments. i would love to see her exercise her curiosity in this area with some expertise. with another child on the way, i could see our family using this for years and years.
This looks like a fabulous resource!
I’m surprised at how young babies are learning
Thanks for having a product which helps in kids development and creates more connections in their brains.
I’d love to check this out!
I’m loving your website!! And I would love to have the Brill Kids curriculum! What a great way to incorporate music education into my Toddler’s schedule. So simple, yet effective!
This is amazing! Thanks for the chance!!!!
This definitely sounds like an amazing program! Thank you for such a great review, I am crossing my fingers that I can win this for my children! 🙂
As a musician, I am excited that there is a program such as this to share with my little ones. My 2 and 4 year old are so interested in music and would appreciate using this software .
Music is so important for the little ones. Time and time again when you study the biographies of successful people you will find that they can almost always play an instrument that they taught themselves on. No joke here, if you want your kids “tuned” to learning better then getting them a start in music is a true benefit.