Classroom or Family Parachute Giveaway
Few items require the teamwork of a parachute, and even fewer are as fun to use. I have searched and studied reviews and have chosen a 10' parachute for one of our lucky readers.
This post contains affiliate links. 🙂
Teamwork through Gross Movement
Parachutes are so fun! Children love the bright colors and the opportunity to participate in an activity circle. In fact, one of the biggest issues a teacher will have is not getting children to participate, but to maintain order as children become a little too excited. One of the easiest ways to do this is to teach the kids a poem or song before bringing out the parachute, as the kids will be distracted by the desire to play once they have the parachute in their hands.
There are a myriad of games one can play with a parachute, but since this IS a music website, I will be focusing on poetry and singing games.
One poem my children are very familiar with comes from Sparkabilities, a video series for babies that we enjoy, so I adapted it for the parachute. In the original, the parent moves a baby's limbs according to the actions. We had to say the poem very slowly to be able to use it with the parachute, but they didn't mind.
"Up and Down, Up and Down,
Up and down and up!
In and out, in and out,
In and out and in! (take a step inward then outward)
Switch, switch, switch, switch,
Switch, switch, switch. (move hands up and down quickly. If holding two handles, switch hands up and down, creating a jiggling motion.)
And around, and around, (move in a circle)
Other way, other way. (change directions)
Using a Parachute to teach music
Not only is parachute play great for encouraging teamwork and physical movement, but they're great for learning music as well! Things like steady beat and performing on cue are taught, but I find it most valuable as an overarching sense of musicality is internalized as children sing and dance together.
The two singing games I played with my children yesterday were "Ring around the Rosies" and "London Bridge". "Ring around the "Rosies" is pretty self-explanatory. Sing and dance in a circle, and pull the parachute down to the floor when you all fall down. The video below adds a second verse, "Cows are in the meadows eating buttercups. Ashes, ashes, we all stand up." Children pretend to eat buttercups and then pull the parachute up at the end of the verse, preparing them to sing again.
For London Bridge, we pulled the parachute up and down during the first verse. When we got to "Take the key and lock her up", we invited one child to sit in the middle and experience the parachute going up and down over them as the rest of us continued to move the parachute up and down. We could have continued with the rest of the verses, but my kids only really know the first two so we simply sang the 2nd verse multiple times in a row until everyone who wanted a turn had the opportunity.
Don't stop there! There are dozens and dozens of singing songs and games to choose from. I've found a video to get you started, as well as a few websites that may be of interest.
Notes and Observations
Parachutes come in many different sizes. The smallest ones are about 6-feet and are best for small preschool groups. I have seen them as big as 20-feet, which is best for very large groups of children. The one I selected is 10-feet, which to me "just right". Baby bear would agree. I've wanted to get a parachute for a long time and our family is finally getting big enough that I can enjoy parachute play with my children alone. But even without 5 kids in tow, this is a good size for a play-date or extended family get-together. It is also large enough for small preschool groups or classroom rotation. There are 12 handles, but more children can play along by grabbing a spot in between, or by taking turns running under the parachute while others do the not-so-heavy lifting.
There were several 12-foot parachutes on Amazon, but they didn't have as good reviews as the 10-foot one, and I was impressed by the quality when it arrived yesterday, so I am happy with our choice and feel confident that our giveaway winner will be happy too. Good luck!
Enter the giveaway and learn more below. We will be purchasing the prize for the winner.
Find out more about the 10' parachute the winner will receive on Amazon. Giveaway ends Friday at midnight, April 15th. Winner gets (1) parachute.
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN. A PURCHASE DOES NOT IMPROVE YOUR CHANCES OF WINNING. VOID WHERE PROHIBITED BY LAW.
1. Promotion Description: The '$27 Play Parachute' ("Sweepstakes") begins on 04/09/2016 at 12:00 AM (Mountain Time (US & Canada)) and ends on 04/16/2016 at 12:00 AM (Mountain Time (US & Canada)) (the "Promotion Period"). By participating in the Sweepstakes, each entrant unconditionally accepts and agrees to comply with and abide by these Official Rules and the decisions of Tamsyn Spackman ("Sponsor"), which shall be final and binding in all respects. Sponsor is responsible for the collection, submission or processing of Entries and the overall administration of the giveaway. Entrants should look solely to Sponsor with any questions, comments or problems related to the Sweepstakes.
2. Eligibility: Open to legal residents of USA who are 18 or older. Void where prohibited or restricted by law. Sponsor and their respective parents, subsidiaries, affiliates, distributors, retailers, sales representatives, advertising and promotion agencies and each of their respective officers, directors and employees (collectively, the "Promotion Entities"), and members of their immediate families and/or persons living in the same household as such persons, are ineligible to enter the Sweepstakes or win a prize.
3. Winner Selection: The winner of the Sweepstakes will be selected in a random drawing from among all eligible Entries received throughout the Promotion Period. The random drawing will be conducted by 48 hours by Sponsor or its designated representatives, whose decisions are final. Odds of winning will vary depending on the number of eligible Entries received. Winner will be notified by email at the email address provided in the Entry Information on or about 48 hours after the random drawing. Potential winner must accept a prize by email as directed by Sponsor within 48 hours of notification. Any winner notification not responded to or returned as undeliverable may result in prize forfeiture. The potential prize winner may be required to sign and return an affidavit of eligibility and release of liability, and a Publicity Release (collectively "the Prize Claim Documents"). No substitution or transfer of a prize is permitted except by Sponsor.
- 1 (#) winner(s) will receive [(1) Play Parachute] (approximate retail value or "ARV": $$27)
Only one prize per person and per household will be awarded. Gift cards and gift certificates are subject to the terms and conditions of the issuer. Prizes cannot be transferred, redeemed for cash or substituted by winner. Sponsor reserves the right in its sole and absolute discretion to award a substitute prize of equal or greater value if a prize described in these Official Rules is unavailable or cannot be awarded, in whole or in part, for any reason. The ARV of the prize represents Sponsor's good faith determination. That determination is final and binding and cannot be appealed. If the actual value of the prize turns out to be less than the stated ARV, the difference will not be awarded in cash. Sponsor makes no representation or warranty concerning the appearance, safety or performance of any prize awarded. Restrictions, conditions, and limitations may apply. Sponsor will not replace any lost or stolen prize items.
Prize will only be awarded and/or delivered to addresses within USA. All federal, state and/or local taxes, fees, and surcharges are the sole responsibility of the prize winner. Failure to comply with the Official Rules will result in forfeiture of the prize.
5. Online Entry: Enter the Sweepstakes during the Promotion Period online by signing into the entry form and perform the tasks provided. The entry form can be found on the following website at https://www.teaching-children-music.com/2016/04/parachute-giveaway/.
Automated or robotic Entries submitted by individuals or organizations will be disqualified. Internet entry must be made by the entrant. Any attempt by an entrant to obtain more than the stated number of Entries by using multiple/different email addresses, identities, registrations, logins or any other methods, including, but not limited to, commercial contest/sweepstakes subscription notification and/or entering services, will void that entrant's Entries and that entrant may be disqualified. Final eligibility for the award of any prize is subject to eligibility verification as set forth below. All Entries must be posted by the end of the Promotion Period in order to participate. Sponsor's database clock will be the official time keeper for this Sweepstakes.
7. Limitation of Liability: Sponsor is not responsible for any incorrect or inaccurate information, whether caused by website users or by any of the equipment or programming associated with or utilized in the Sweepstakes or by any technical or human error, which may occur in the processing of submissions in the Sweepstakes. Sponsor assumes no responsibility for any misdirected or lost mail, or any error, omission, interruption, deletion, defect, delay of operation or transmission, communications line failure, theft or destruction or unauthorized access to, or alteration of, Entries. Sponsor is not responsible for any problems or technical malfunction of any telephone network or lines, computer online systems, servers or providers, computer equipment, software, failure of email or players on account of technical problems or traffic congestion on the Internet or at any website or combination thereof, including injury or damage to entrant's or any other person's computer related to or resulting from participating downloading materials in the Sweepstakes. If, for any reason, the Sweepstakes is not capable of running as planned, including infection by computer virus bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failures, or any other causes beyond the control of Sponsor which corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness, integrity or proper conduct of the Sweepstakes, then Sponsor reserves the right in its sole discretion to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the Sweepstakes. In such event, Sponsor may, in its sole discretion, perform the random drawing from among all eligible Entries received prior to or after such cancellation, suspension, or modification.
In the event of a dispute concerning who registered online to participate in the Sweepstakes, the registration will be declared to have been made by the authorized account holder is defined as the natural person who is assigned to an email address by an internet provider, online service provider, or other organization (e.g., business, education institution, etc.) that is responsible for assigning email addresses for the domain associated with the submitted email address. A potential winner may be requested to provide Sponsor with proof that the potential winner is the authorized account holder of the email address. If a dispute cannot be resolved to Sponsor's satisfaction, the entry will be deemed ineligible.
8. Winner's List: To obtain a copy of any legally required winners list or a copy of the Official Rules, send the applicable request and a self-addresses, stamped, #10 envelope to Tamsyn Spackman cc: $27 Play Parachute at 472 W 250 S, Vernal, UT 84078. Request must be received no later than 48 hours + 6 MONTHS for the name of the winner and, by the end of the promotion, for a copy of the rules.
9. Sponsor: The Sweepstakes is sponsored by Tamsyn Spackman, 472 W 250 S, Vernal, UT 84078, email@example.com
11. Facebook Disclaimer: Entrants should understand that they are providing their information to the Sponsor and not to Facebook. This promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with Facebook.